Thread: Why is pizza Hut charging both service tax and VAT

simran Guest

Default Why is pizza Hut charging both service tax and VAT

Click image for larger version.

Name:	pizza-Hut.jpg
Views:	5302
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	5651
    I cant understand how can Pizza hut charge VAT and Service Tax both for Dine-In. This is ridiculous. I feel its better to order than to visit their restaurant. I had a bad experince there. The service was not proper and above it they charged 10% charge on th bill.

can someone guide me and confirm if VAT is realli applicable to a food chain like Pizza Hut.?

catherina1105 is offline Junior Member
    Oct 2009

Question Hi.

I really love to eat pizza and pizza hut has the best taste for me but if they charge additional fees for the service and the so called VAT will make their product more expensive. Have you asked the pizza hut where you dine why they have additional charges

arin_12 is offline Junior Member
    Nov 2009

Recently when I visited a PizzaHut outlet for parceling Pizza in Airport road Bangalore a customer asked the same question to the cashier. As a ans the cashier told that from past 2 days its start it seems, that guy got pissed off and paid the amount.

Beware if u r talking delivery. They have messed up the order though they have taken the exact amount what i have ordered. So don't forget to check before u take delivery. We ultimately paid more.

souravbiswas is offline Junior Member
    Jan 2010

Default Misleaded regarding delivery of pizza

On 31st Dec 2009, arround 8.45 pm - 9.00pm i have placed an order to pizza hut for delivery to an address in Janakpuri area of New Delhi. The employee took the order and the address. He told me that the order will be delivered within an hour due to the rush. I called them up at arround 10.00 pm to check the status of the delivery. They informed me that it will take another 15-20minutes for the order to be delivered. At arround 10.40pm i again called up pizza hut to check my order on which the man on the phone informed me about delay of 5-10minutes atmost. I asked him whether he has noted the address correct for which he assured me that the address recorded was right and he assured me of the delivery to be made within 10minutes from then. Also he told me that he will arrange a callback for me confirming the status of the delivery. 11.10pm - neither I received a callback nor the ordered food. Then again i called them up on which i was being transferred on to an employee who informed me that the order cannot be delivered to address. At that hour of night I was left with no food for dinner as I was solely relying on Pizzahut. I then asked them to atleast get the order delivered from any of their outlets as I was ready to compromise with the denatured condition of food. Atlast i was left with no option but sleep hungry. Please guide me to file a petition for the harassment I suffered due to Pizzahut.

Question Hard Rock Cafe

How is the Service Charge & VAT billed?

Recently, I have been to Hard Rock Cafe in Select Citywalk. They charged VAT of 12.5% on the bill amount as well as the service charge.
    for e.g.
    VAT - @12.5% on 110 - 13.75

Is that appropriate? I thought that VAT could only be charged on the Bill Amount.

sushant332 Guest

Default ABOUT pizza hut tax charges

hi, recently i went to pizza hut, hyderabad....they are charged for the pizza like
    (price+10% service tax+14.5% vat)....like
    VAT - @14.5% on 110 - 15.95
    SO TOTAL -126 ON 100....SO AROUND 26% they are taking as tax.......so

Default VAT on service charge

Quote Originally Posted by sushant332 View Post
    (price+10% service tax+14.5% vat)....like
    VAT - @14.5% on 110 - 15.95
    SO TOTAL -126 ON 100....SO AROUND 26% they are taking as tax.......so
    I live in Mumbai and I am seeing the same thing at some restaurants - ie VAT being calculated on the total of the F&B and the service charge. EG
    Bill amount - 100
    Service charge (10%) - 10
    sub total - 110
    VAT (on wine - 20%) - 22
    net total - 132

If the VAT was calculated on the bill only, the breakdown would be:
    Bill amount - 100
    Service charge (10%) - 10
    sub total - 110
    VAT (on wine - 20%) - 20
    net total - 130

In the case of Two One Two Bar and Grill in Worli, they show the service tax as the last item on the bill, so that it appears that you aren't paying VAT on the total amount including their service tax. I think it is deceptive. Does anyone actually know the law on this?

DSP Guest

Default Pizza hut Charging more than the Menu Price

I live in Bangalore RTR Nagar and visited Pizz HUT. I see the same thing ie VAT being calculated on the total of the F&B and the service charge. Why do we need to pay both Service Tax as well as VAT?EG

Menu Price with Tax is 198+258 = 456 Service charge has to be 10 % on food so it will be 40rs totalling to 496 but the bill amout is 502. Is this right there is no one to question this and we end up paying income tax and nearly 25% on food

Does any one know how this has to be calculated or every one is paying more money which we should not be...

This is so disgusting as the Manager is also not aware and coudl not answer. He said he will get back to me by tomorrow.

evg
    evg is offline Junior Member
    Jul 2010

very bad! Should do something!!!!!

evg
    evg is offline Junior Member
    Jul 2010

very bad! Should do something sooon!!!!!

Default VAT calculated on Service tax in Pizza Hut. Is it Fraud or a right thing to do??????

This is ridiculous but when I checked my bill (Bill No 71047; dt - 01-03-2011) I realised that Pizza Hut, Jayanagar 3rd Block, Bangalore has calculated the VAT on Food Cost + Service Charge. The food cost was Rs 775 and 10% of service charge came to Rs 77.50. The VAT @ 13.50% was Rs 115.0 (calculated on the Service charge too) instead of Rs 104.
    How can a restaurant deduct VAT on the extra Service charge they are taking from the customer???
    When we asked the manager he said this has been introduced by the company 6 months ago.
    And on top of this they ask for a Tip amount when paid by debit card. Ridiculous, ain't it??

Default PIZZA HUT Charges Bill Amount+10% Service Tax+14.5%VAT at Hyderabad,Hi tech City,

Pizza hut at Hyderbad near Hitech City is charging 10% Service Tax+14.5% as VAT on Bill amount. Not sure if both Service tax and VAT can be together charged [which acutally is close to 23% of the bill amount]. Please provide clarity on the possible tax calculation in this cae.

Default Pizza hut larceny

Recently i had visited Pizza Hut & ordered 2 medium size pizza's worth Rs.275 each. So the BILL should have been Rs.550, but what i got was Rs.681 that included SERVICE TAX & VAT.Is it LEGAL for them to charge the consumer So much??

Post PIZZA HUT charging VAT on basic charge as well as Service tax

I discovered that Pizza hut charges VAT on the total amount added by basic charge and Service tax which I think is not right. moreover, they are not paying that amount to govt I guess as govt directs VAT on the basis amount. this means they are fleecing customer. on average if they fleece Rs 5 per customer, imagine how many crores they will make in one day. can consumer court tell us if they are doing this illegally. if so, I will like to drag them to consumer court.

Question service tax over vat?

Is it legal that a company can take service tax over vat?and a company like Pizza Hut?I asked them about that matter they told me that Govt. has approved them.That has been told by Howrah Avani Mall branch.Please clarify us.

1. Dominoes Pizza 30 mins nahi toh free is crap