This is a discussion on Maruti A Star Vxi caught Fire on Road. within the Product And Services forums, part of the Miscellaneous category; Particulars of the Case of Maruti A Star VXi DL9CL 4858 Caught Fire & burnt completely on the Road ...
Particulars of the Case of Maruti A Star VXi DL9CL 4858
Caught Fire & burnt completely on the Road
Product : Maruti A Star Vxi \car
Company: Maruti Suzuki India Ltd, Plot no. 1, Nelson Mandela Road, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi-110070. E-mail: email@example.com, Phone: 011-47681132
Sale Dealer: Purchased from Apra Auto India Pvt Ltd, K-804/2, Mahipalpur, Vasant Kunj Road, New Delhi-110037. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: 011-42390000
Purchase Invoice No. Of Dealer : VSL09000007, Invoice date: 05.04.2009
Invoice Amount: Rs 3,96,115.00
Service Dealer: Apra Auto India Pvt Ltd ( Authorised Dealer of Maruti Udyog Limited), F-85, Okhla Phase-1, New Delhi-110020. E-mail: email@example.com, Phone: 011-40510000.
Registration in the Name: Malavika Kaul
Car Registration No DL9CL 4858
Regn. Date: 16.04.2009
Engine No. K10BN1024144
Chassis No. MA3EPDE1S00124270
Date of Manufacturing Feb 2009
Details of Incident
Date and Time of Incident 27th Nov2010, 18:20 hrs
Place of Incidence Near C- Lal Chowk, Govindpuri Red Light, Ma Anandmai Road, New Delhi.
Description of Incident:
On Saturday the 27th of Nov2010 at around 18:20 hrs, on my way from work while waiting at the Red signal (I turned off the engine, but battery power was on- FM & blower was on) I suddenly heard a loud sound from underneath the bonnet of my car and saw black smoke coming out. I hurriedly got out from my car and stood to the side where I observed, flames starting from under the bonnet of the car. Just before the fames could grow and envelope the car I quickly dived back in the car to take out my wallet and mobile phone. As soon as I escaped from my car, the flames grew very quickly and enveloped the car destroying it and everything within.
On the urging of the people around me, even though I was in a daze, with shaky hands I tried to click photos of my car burning up in front of my eyes. Its a surreal experience to know that had I been a fraction to late or slow or locked due jam of locks I would have been burnt to crisp. So if you can call me lucky for having just about escaped with my life and lost the car then so it is.
The police and passer-bys tried to help put out the fire but to no avail and it burnt fierce till a water tanker which came along after 15 -20mins completely doused it. Also, simultaneously a fire brigade arrived too, who were informed by the PCR. The car was then towed away the same evening (at about 19:55 hrs) from the spot of incidence by the police to Police Station, Okhla Ind. Area Phase I , New Delhi after the fire was doused and a complaint was registered with them in their books.
Some Other Details:
1. Report lodged at: Police Station, Okhla Industrial Area, New Delhi
2. Detail of Police Report: DD No 63 B, Dated: 27.11.2010 at 7:55 pm
3. Fire Report No. Of Delhi Fire Services: 201040800 (Operational Jurisdiction of Fire Station: Nehru Place, N.Delhi).
Other Actions Taken on 27.11.2010:
1. Informed the Works manager of Service Dealer (M/s Apra Auto India Pvt Ltd, F-85, Okhla Phase-1, New Delhi). Immediately at about 18:40 hrs for help. Spoken to him three times & we received a final reply that the Vehicle will be inspected on 28.11.2010 morning. Also, he has intimated to concerned staff of the company( Maruti Suzuki India Ltd)
2. Taken some Photographs of the Vehicle ( While it was buning) & when it was towed to Police Station.
Actions Taken on 28.11.2010
1. Called the Toll Free Number of Any Time maruti at 18001800180 and explained the whole case & lodged a complaint, We were given a feedback no. 9022818111.
(Another Feedback no. Issued to us later when we called after a few days, which is 5121704463).
2. An e-mail was also sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with detail of whole incident on 28.11.2010 to which we were replied that we will forward the complaint to concerned department & a CRM no. 0019000003568 was issued.
3. The Vehicle was then towed after the inspection by Works Manager of Service dealer from Police Station to Workshop at Okhla phase-1. New Delhi( Service dealer- Apra Auto India Pvt Ltd).
4. The Crane service used for towing the Vehicle was called by Works Manger from Police Station, details of crane service: Mukesh & ganga Crane Service, B-13, Mayapuri Phase-II, New Delhi-110064. Mobile no: 9871432826, 9213218748. We paid Rs 700 to crane service for towing the damaged vehicle from Police Station to Workshop, a bill was also given to me. Bill No. 1047, Dated: 28.11.2010.
5. In the Office of Works Manger, we submitted all the required documents ( Original of Driving Licence, Original Registration certificate of Car, Insurance policy paper, a letter of brief description of the whole incident, copy of Police report, we also handed over the soft copies of photographs taken by us & other papers needed to intimate Insurance company- National Insurance Co. Ltd) & we were assured that a technical team from the company & surveyor from insurance company will inspect the vehicle on 29.11.2010 & will also inform to us the status. We were issued a job card no. JC10007932, JC date: 28.11.2010.
Some other Details:
1. The car was given for a regular servicing at Apra Auto India Pvt Ltd, Okhla Phase-I, New Delhi on 21.11.2010 vide Job card no: JC 10007661, JC date: 21.11.2010. The car was returned to us on 24.11.2010 at 19:06:25 hrs.
Invoice No. Br10005195, Invoice Dtae: 24.11.2010. Invoice Amount: Rs 4813.
The Milometer reading at the time of delivery of Vehicle was: 12829 kms.
2. The Vehicle was not used on 25th Nov 2010 & only used for commuting to office at Janpath, New Delhi on 26th & 27th Nov 2010. The Vehicle was used only 81 kms after received from the service dealer.
Details of Insurance Policy:
Insurance Company: National Insurance Co. Ltd
Insurance Policy No: MI11221110053475
NTMAR Claim No. 90907048
We followed up the Apra Auto India Pvt Ltd & contacted the Works Manager, General Manager, other staff in body shop for about 5-6 times. We also followed the matter with the Territory Service Manager of the Company (MSIL), We called the customer support no. of Maruti, written many mails to the mail ID , but yet not received any satisfactory reply. Only reply we have received once by the Territory Service Manger is that we have inspected the burnt vehicle & reached to a conclusion that its not a manufacturing defect, you please contact Mr. Durgesh Rai, G.M, Apra Auto, Okhla to proceed with claim from insurance & other needful.
Since the incident after having had time to get out of the shock and trauma of it, I reflect on some very pertinent points
1. This car has been continuously under the Maruti sales and service umbrella since its purchase.
2. There have been no extra or any external fitting done, it was as it was when sold to us by Maruti.
3. It has run less than 13000kms from the date of purchase.
4. It has just been received back from a regular service check-up.
Thus, to say that the incident was a mere shock would be understating it severely.
1. Loss of car (almost new, has been used less than 13000 kms).
2. Personal belongings in the car which got burnt in the car worth Rs 5000.
3. We both have taken 4 full day leave from work to meet, follow-up with different people in this regard.
4. Hired a taxi for commuting to office & Residence.
5. Paid Rs 700 for towing the vehicle from Police Station to Service Station.
6. Paid Rs 4412 to Service dealer for obtaining the salvage.
7. Many visits to Maruti Dealership, Insurance office, RTO authority, etc.
8. Unlimited phone calls to all concerned regarding this.
Other than the above monitory losses, we have experienced big mental trauma due to this.
Its now almost one month passed to this incident & despite regular follow up from the company & Dealer, we have not heard any reason for this accident & neither we have been given the reports of technical investigation done by the team of MSIL. We have been only told by the GM of Apra Auto India Pvt Ltd after consulting with the TSM of MSIL that they can only compensate Rs 35,000- 40,000 in case we buy a new Maruti Vehicle from them. We are now waiting for compensation to our losses, which is due to either defect in product or negligence on the part of service dealer.
We would like Maruti to look into the matter and come up with reason and adequate safety measures for the how and why it has happened.
I would also request them for adequate compensation as soon as possible for the loss of a car, almost brand new and the trauma that was suffered in the course of the incident, so that I may put that fateful evening behind me and get on with life.