HONDA JAPAN & INDIA have delivered faultily manufactured defective HONDA CITY car which may lead to serious injury and accidents. Can only hope the letter below will allow HONDA to do the right thing.
Sub: Serious defect in Honda car, arising out of negligence during manufacturing process, leading to excessive and dangerous corrosion which may cause bodily harm to occupants of the Honda car and others
Re: Honda City 1.5 V, Vehicle Registration Number - WB 06 F 6969, Chassis No – MAKGM253ABN206997, Engine No – L15A72214504, Purchase & Warranty date – 13/14-02-2011
You say that...we are dedicated to supplying products of the highest quality, yet at a reasonable price for worldwide customer satisfaction. Sometimes you are not, definitely not in this instance.
Your goal, so you say is... to provide joy through your Business: The Joy of Buying: For those who buy your Products. Sorry, you have provided only sadness, mental harassment, agony and created bad environment and, possibly, of serious accident.
You say that, to meet the particular needs of customers in different regions around the world, you base your sales networks, research and development centers and manufacturing facilities in each region. Furthermore, as a socially responsible corporate citizen, you strive to address important environmental and safety issues. This claim is highly doubtful as you have supplied a vehicle without bearing in mind the environmental conditions (at least in this instance) with improper finish and paint job, a manufacturing defect, leading to extreme corrosion which in turn endangers human safety.
Such behavior, lack of quality consciousness, disregard for environment and safety, is helping Honda India to destroy the unparalleled legacy of greatness created by your Respected Founder Mr Soichiro Honda. Remember he also said “real happiness lies in completion of work using your own brains and skills”. Does the shoddy job provided by you make you happy??
We refer you to our previous correspondence and would notify you that if you do not arrange to carry out complete corrosion repairs to the a/m Honda motor car free of cost within 21 days hereof, we shall institute legal proceedings in appropriate fora against all of you without any further reference to you.
The facts are as follows:
01. Purchase of one Honda City was made on 13-14/02/2011 upon payment of full value to you.
02. Owing to inherent manufacturing defects, leading to uncontrolled rusting, corrosion of body, even the front portion of the vehicle has caved in as shown in photos.
03. This particular car, if not the batch, has rusted since last more than 2 to 3 years owing to a serious and severe deficiency somewhere along the factory line. The damage and responsibility thereof can be established by various tests available incl. salt spray tests. You may also wish to carry out tests at any world-renowned lab supervised by a leading expert of forensics in motor cars, specializing in rust/corrosion matters.
04. Your statement “formation of rust in car happens due to external natural factors”. If that were the case then all cars – Honda or otherwise - on Kolkata, if not Indian roads, would start rusting within 1 or 2 years of purchase as it has happened in your case. We own more than 4 cars – even more than 20 years old - none is affected by rust as the Honda is, although used equally and parked in the very same covered garage.
05. No “stringent” quality tests esp. of the paint job at various corners and undulations were carried out by you.
06. The rusting started after 2, and further deteriorated within 3 years of purchase. Despite the vehicle visiting your workshop numerous times, you did not take any notice of the spreading and dangerous rust. Shockingly, only in 2015 – after we sent our Honda to your workshop at your request (and after we were forced to complain to your Japan HO about the corrosion), you stated that some parts incl. underbody was rusted, totally ignoring the dangerous and unseemly rusting of the main body of the Honda!
07. In the 4th year, the damage – owing obviously to some sort of manufacturing defect by Honda India – is even more dangerous than before;
08. We have found innumerable complaints of rusting and corrosion against Honda City cars sold in India. You are surely aware of this fact.
09. Damage is not caused by external factors directly but by manufacturing defect or owing to Honda not taking sufficient care during manufacturing process.
10. Similar damage is seen in other Honda cars probably of same batch.
11. Your excuse of warranty period having expired does not hold any water.
12. You do not desire an amicable resolution of our concern and wish us to proceed legally in the interest of justice and fair play.
13. The vehicle is parked in a covered garage in Alipore where not only 4 more cars of mine but numerous other cars of other owners are parked all of whom would gladly confirm that their cars have not corroded coz their cars are not manufactured by Honda.
14. As a fond lover of my Honda, I ensure – personally ensure – every morning, that my car is dried thoroughly after being washed and, any extraneous matter, if any, is cleaned.
15. We purchased your product in good faith.
We may add that since our complaint, the corrosion has led to the front end of the vehicle under the bonnet to be severely damaged as well, leading to the frontal parts almost falling off the car as you would observe from the spilt slippery material in the photos.
You can easily verify (1) all the similar complaints made against Honda about rust/corrosion and find a pattern of an inherent manufacturing defect (2) the minutest detail of the corrosion by having the vehicle undergo various investigative tests incl. salt test all of which would establish that Honda is guilty.
Kindly note that – upon expiry of the response period after August 29, 2015 - we would be free to take all possible action against Honda in India and Japan for being duped to buy a vehicle which has corroded owing to obvious manufacturing defect and we would assume that Honda is not interested to rectify the damage.